modem problem

Pete Holzmann pete at octopus.UUCP
Wed Feb 1 03:39:16 AEST 1989

In article <787 at hawkmoon.MN.ORG> root at hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Admin) writes:
>..As soon as i issue the +++, the carrier drops the carrier like a hot
>potato.  What the heck am i doing wrong here?  The USR manual mentions nothing
>like:
>	"As soon as the +++ is entered the modem not only
>	 enters the  command state,  but also  immediatly
>	 drops the carrier like a hot potato"

This is one of the USR 'features' :-( that made me give up early on the
HST modems. It seems that for some of the modes of some of their modems
(including high speed on the HST, and I guess on the Direct 2400 you are
using), they can't both support AT commands and a data link simultaneously.
So, if you go into command mode (+++ and all that), they just drop carrier.
This was confirmed by USR tech support.

If you never need to do this, you don't care. But let the buyer beware.

Pete

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014