"Top 3" 3.0e.1U bugs

wtr at moss.ATT.COM wtr at moss.ATT.COM
Wed Feb 1 02:05:43 AEST 1989

In article <3372 at sugar.uu.net> karl at sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>In article <578 at noe.UUCP>, eps at noe.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>> 2. passwd: missing ulimit call.
>>    => ulimit 0;passwd  nukes /etc/passwd
>
>> I'd appreciate independent verification (also on other SysV).
>> Complaints to the vendors, followups to the newsgroup.
>
>It nukes it on Bell Tech System V/386 3.0...

>mailx does the setuid(getuid()), though...

on my unix-pc (a.k.a. the AT&T 7300) it attempts to
create a temoporary passwd file, and bomb out withan error
indicating this.  the /etc/passwd file is unaffected.

note: the unix-pc runs Sys5 rel1 with most of the rel2
stuff.

hmm... i don't have mailx set-group-id'd to mail.  it's just
"rwxr-xr-x".  i haven't noticed any problems with this.

oh well,...

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)