Missing inodes on V/386 & News

Randall L. Smith randy at rls.UUCP
Mon Jul 24 06:05:58 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jul22.172031.20292 at twwells.com>, bill at twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:
> In article <456 at wa3wbu.UUCP> john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
> : About every other day the inode count gets screwed up.
>
> It is a standard problem with SysV3.0 (actually, all SysV Unixes
> earlier than 3.1, or so I'm told). I have a patch for Microport
> SysV/386 3.0e, which presumably is somewhat different from 3.0Ue. I
> described my patch a few months ago;
>
> [... patch deleted for bervity ...]

I must attest that the methodology really works.  I was plagued with this
monster for a few weeks and finally got PO'ed enough to do something.
(Thats what it usually takes:-}).  The process is simple too.  Just copy
(cp NOT ln or mv) your /unix kernel to another name before you do anything.

Since the method only attacks the inode segment of the kernel, the patch
works fine with DosMerge too.  Many thanks to Bill Wells!

Cheers!

- randy

Usenet: randy at rls.uucp
Bangpath: ...<backbone>!osu-cis!rls!randy
Internet: rls!randy at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu