Can you run Sys V/AT on a 386 box?

John Plocher plocher%sally at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 26 10:41:36 AEST 1989

+---- In <2267 at qiclab.UUCP> Steven C. Neighorn writes:
| +----
| | Is there any reason that a Sys V/AT wouldn't run on a 386 CPU board?
| +----
| my experience you can only go on a case by case basis. Microport's Sys V/AT
| ran fine (ie normal 286 operation speed and reliability) on Intel OEM
| platforms, but would not run on an Everex System 3000 '386 box. It might
+----

As I recall, the Everex 3000 used a 12Mhz i/o bus which didn't work with
Microport's V/AT hard disk driver (The controller couldn't handle a "rep
move string" at a full 12Mhz)

Microport Tech Support *had* a disk which would let you run on machines with
a faster i/o bus - we replaced the rep stuff with a discrete mov + jmp loop
which ran slow enough to let the controller work. :-)

   -John Plocher