Help needed installing 2.4.0

david.e.bodenstab imdave at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Mon Jul 24 13:11:24 AEST 1989

My upgraded 2.4.0L system will not recognize my second disk -- 2.3.0 worked
fine.  Has anyone run into this before?

My system: NEC APC/IV (AT)
	   disk 0: NEC 40M,  1 dos + 1 unix partition (root, usr, swap and tmp)
	   disk 1: Seagate 4096 80M, 1 dos + 1 unix partition (usr/src and
								     usr/local)

When I booted 2.4, it wouldn't access disk 1.  So, I backed everything off
to diskettes, and ran `fdisk' to re-assign bad blocks and then `divvy 1' to
make my file systems.  Divvy worked fine.  *But* when I tried to `labelit
/dev/dsk/1s0' I got "cannot read superblock".  It turned out I could not
access disk 1 period.

Then, I tried `divvy -u' which is supposed to update the "slice table"
whatever that is.  After doing this, the system was able to access disk 1
correctly.  *But*, sometimes, after doing this there seems to be some
sort of internal file system corruption for the root file system -- like
"cannot stat .", "cpio: cannot execute", etc.  After I reboot and run
fsck, there apparently was no corruption on the disk.

So, if I don't do a `divvy -u' I can't access my second disk, and if I do
do a `divvy -u' I can access disk 1 but disk 0 is sometimes hosed.

Could anyone shed some light on this?  What am I doing wrong?  I've even
run `installit' from the 2.4.0 boot diskette and followed the instructions
for installing on a two disk system (I didn't let divvy run mkfs on disk 0
though).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Dave Bodenstab
...att!iwtmx!imdave
312 9798114