Help needed installing 2.4.0

John Kennedy johnk at opel.UUCP
Tue Jul 25 04:16:32 AEST 1989

In article <1939 at cbnewsc.ATT.COM> imdave at cbnewsc.ATT.COM (david.e.bodenstab) writes:

>My upgraded 2.4.0L system will not recognize my second disk -- 2.3.0 worked
>fine.  Has anyone run into this before?
>
>My system: NEC APC/IV (AT)
>	   disk 0: NEC 40M,  1 dos + 1 unix partition (root, usr, swap and tmp)
>	   disk 1: Seagate 4096 80M, 1 dos + 1 unix partition (usr/src and
>								     usr/local)
>
>When I booted 2.4, it wouldn't access disk 1.  So, I backed everything off
>to diskettes, and ran `fdisk' to re-assign bad blocks and then `divvy 1' to
>make my file systems.  Divvy worked fine.  *But* when I tried to `labelit
>/dev/dsk/1s0' I got "cannot read superblock".  It turned out I could not
>access disk 1 period.

>So, if I don't do a `divvy -u' I can't access my second disk, and if I do
>do a `divvy -u' I can access disk 1 but disk 0 is sometimes hosed.

This is so similar to what I've been going through it's frightening.

Similar situation, where drive 1 appears to be causing failures on
both disk 1 and disk 0.

My old configuration:

Disk 0                              Disk 1
Seagate 4096 (80M)                  Seagate 251-1 (40M)

This worked well.

New configuration

Disk 0                              Disk 1
Seagate 4096 (80M) 1                Seagate 4096 (80M) #2

BY ADDING A SECOND 4096 I got those same brutal errors that you are describing.

Either 4096 works find as drive 0 alone;  either 4096 works along with
the 251-1 as drive 1.

I had concluded that either it was a fluky drive or uport 2.4 is having
a problem with two 4096s in the system.  Now your posting suggests that
the problem could be related to having the 4096 as drive 1!!!!

SO,   anybody out there successfully running either TWO ST-4096s or running
a 4096 as drive 1?

I'd love to get this thing nailed down.  BTW, my new 4096 has been returned
to the vendor on the supposition it is faulty.

John

--
John Kennedy                     johnk at opel.UUCP
Second Source, Inc.