another Micorport bug with C news

Bob Thrush rd at tarpit.uucp
Thu Jul 20 13:30:22 AEST 1989

In article <116084 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher at sun.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>In article <1989Jul14.140318.4987 at tmsoft.uucp> mason at tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>>In article <1989Jul13.022941.3573 at intacc.uucp> mann at intacc.UUCP (Jeff Mann) writes:
>>> [ about ] some  weird action from relaynews.
>>Actually they don't fail, they just all start at the same place in the
>>file, as I remember the problem, so only the last remains in the file.
>The problem is a generic System Vr2 bug in many/most Vr2 systems.  I extracted
>the following from Microport's bug database:
>Bug 404 Rel 1.36 priority 3:
>Using fprintf to write to a file opened in "r+" mode will cause data written
>with fprintf() to be lost if fseek()s are done also.

  Sounds pretty dreadful.  I'm surprised this is the first report of
such a problem.  Am I just running through the raindrops with my C News
installation under V/AT 2.4?  I (think) it has been properly handling
an incoming feed and several outbound feeds with about 7 days of
active (comp.) articles.  However, I'm beginning to wonder...

  I used the large model (no optimization).   Were the problems associated
with the small model?  Or was it corrected in 2.4 (Jeff Mann's original
report mentioned 2.3)?