Is anyone executing Cnews on microport 2.4 ?

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.ORG
Thu Jul 13 08:53:50 AEST 1989

As quoted from <14 at pfm.UUCP> by root at pfm.UUCP (TSOS of PFM):
+---------------
| cab at cbnewsh.ATT.COM (CAB) writes:
| >Tips on compilation appreciated, my compiler seems to barf
| >on relay/hdrdefs.c line 49.  The error message is
| >compiler error: expression causes compiler loop: try simplifying
+---------------

Some compilers aren't capable of handling complex expressions.  And some
expressions that look rather complex to the compiler look downright simple
to us people, because some combination of two or three operators turns out
to require a lot of work on the part of the compiler to implement.

The error message says exactly what it means:  look at line 49 of
relay/hdrdefs.c, find the expression that's causing the problem, and split
it up by storing temporary results in variables.

+---------------
| No, sorry, I have the microport sys V 386 Rel. 3.0, but I have
| trouble with the "spacefor" - the whole time inews says that there
| is not enough space at my /usr/spool/news (32 MB free space !).
+---------------

The release notes warn that "spacefor" WILL need to be adjusted for a given
system....

Whoever wrote the System V code for "spacefor" assumed that the device name
always fits exactly between the parentheses.  This is not always true.  I
just hardcoded for our system (needed a quick fix, "doexpire" was hammering
its head against the wall), but a better way to extract the free space is:

df something | sed '/^[^(]*([^ ][^ ]* *): *\([0-9][0-9]*\) *b.*$/s//\1/'

This should work on any System V and also works with the (slightly
different) System III df.  (Well, let me hedge that:  it works with System
III df, because I tested it just now.  However, ncoast is not (yet) System V
so I can't test it under System V right now.  I'll test it on the 386 at
work tomorrow and let you know what needs to be changed.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery at ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
      Send comp.sources.misc submissions to comp-sources-misc@<backbone>
NCoast Public Access UN*X - (216) 781-6201, 300/1200/2400 baud, login: makeuser
* "ncoast" regenerates again!  The 5th "ncoast", coming August 1 (stay tuned) *