Is anyone executing Cnews on microport 2.4 ?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Thu Jul 13 07:08:03 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jul12.060459.28245 at intacc.uucp> mann at intacc.UUCP (Jeff Mann) writes:
>David  is  correct  to  point out that the "infamous" indode problem can
>happen with Microport.  I think a preventative fix for this would be  to
>add a line:
>
>	> $NEWSARTS/tmp$$; rm $NEWSARTS/tmp$$
>
>to  newsrun,  just before the test for request to stop in the main loop,
>for example.  This will stop the creation of thousands of files  without
>a  deletion  of a file; which I believe is the condition that causes the
>missing inodes.  Comments?

I would be quite interested to know whether this does in fact solve the
problem; I'm a little sensitive to overhead in newsrun, but I could at
least say something about it in a comment.

I considered having spacefor try to check for inodes as well as disk
blocks, in fact, but if you thought finding the number of disk blocks
free was system-dependent, well, inodes are worse...

>Also  of  interest to Microport users: batch/viauux calls uux with a -gd
>option, not recognised by uport.  Just take it  out.   Related  is  that
>conf/queuelen,  either  version,  does  not work.  I used the 'old uucp'
>version, and removed the part about changing directories...

My stars, that's an ancient uucp!
--
$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu