Wangtek PC-36 configuration information wanted for System V/AT

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Mon Jul 31 04:28:10 AEST 1989

In article <1073 at tukki.jyu.fi> makela at tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
>You should also notice that the 60Mb versions of the Wangtek drives don't
>work too good with Unixes.  There is a simple upgrade to change the drive/
>card combination to a 125Mb set.  It involves getting a ROM upgrade and a
>bigger RAM buffer chip to the controller board.  Contact Wangtek techincal
>support, or email me for details if you are interested.

Could you elaborate on this "don't work too good" ?
I have an Everex controler with the Wangtek 60Mbyte drive and indeed
it doesn't work too good with Unix: sometimes (10 to 20 times per tape)
a byte gets altered while writing to the tape and Unix doesn't notice
the error.
I'm sure my settings are all correct, and the diagnostics can't find
anything wrong (i can run them several times, they don't find even a
single soft or hard error). Still with Unix the tape is unreliable.
(Speed is not a problem, given sufficient buffering is used.)
This is with AT&T sVr3.2u.

I posted this problem before but nobody came forward saying they experienced
the same. The problem only occurs on my Everex Step 386/25. On an
AT&T 6386E I get no errors using a Wangtek controller and drive.

Paul.