Curses bug in V/AT 2.4 - what was i

dpgerdes at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu dpgerdes at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 22 02:00:00 AEST 1989

/* Written  3:56 am  Jun 19, 1989 by keithb at reed.UUCP in osiris.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.microport */

>It's not supposed to release the memory.  endwin() just restores your
>tty to a sane mode so you can shell.  As soon as you return from the shell,
>you may do a refresh() and poof, you've got your screen back, everything in
>place to continue executing.  But one user having 90 of these, a bit beyond
>my remembering how far down the stack I am.

    Well it looks I've been miss-interpretting this all along.  I always
understood it to imply that initscr() initializes curses and endwin() cleans
up after itself.  I have never seen the behavior above explicitly documented,
but I just looked up the source and it agrees with what you said.  Well I
guess that provides and easier solution to my problem of entering and exitting
curses.   Thanks.