Curses bug in V/AT 2.4 - what was i

Mark E. Mallett mem at zinn.MV.COM
Wed Jun 21 15:59:46 AEST 1989

In article <42700022 at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu> dpgerdes at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written  5:19 pm  Jun 13, 1989 by rp at osc.COM in osiris.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.microport */
>>/* ---------- "Curses bug in V/AT 2.4 - what was i" ---------- */
>>Hi,
>>	I remember a couple of months ago that there is a bug in the
>>curses support under System V/AT ver. 2.4.  Does anybody remember what it
>>was ??  Also, if anybody has a fix for it that would be appreciated.  Please
>>either post or e-mail directly to me.

Perhaps the message you refer to was a report of a bug in tgetstr().
I thought I had saved the original message, but I can't find it, so I
can't say who it was that posted it.

This bug must be compensated for to get running any program that uses
it, including (for instance) JOVE.  tgetstr()'s second argument is
supposed to be the address of a pointer to a buffer.  The bug is that
it is implemented as if it is the actual pointer.  For example, here's
the workaround in JOVE's term.c module:

	=====

	for (i = 0; meas[i]; i++) {
#ifdef	UPORT_CURSES_BUG
		*(meas[i]) = (char *) tgetstr(ts, termp);
#else
		*(meas[i]) = (char *) tgetstr(ts, &termp);
#endif
		ts += 2;
	=====

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett