NMI in System Mode on System V/386

dfriedlander at cdp.UUCP dfriedlander at cdp.UUCP
Thu Jun 29 20:50:28 AEST 1989

It's true, diagnostics don't seem to pick up all memory problems.
My AST386C ran fine under DOS (5MB memory.)  Indeed, not only did
diagnostics show no problem, but I was able to fill up all the memory
using Lotus and EMM, and nothing showed.  (Incidentally, the Lotus
and EMS test is generally better than the provided diagnostics programs).

Nonetheless, UNIX hung the system periodically.  When the memory was
swapped for AST memory, the problem went away.

I wonder if anyone understands why this sort of weirdness happens.

David Friedlander
Io Consulting Inc.