NMI in System Mode on System V/386

Steve Benz steveb at cs.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 30 06:52:54 AEST 1989

In article <143800004 at cdp> dfriedlander at cdp.UUCP writes:
> [ NMI in System Mode == memory problem ]
>It's true, diagnostics don't seem to pick up all memory problems.
>
>I wonder if anyone understands why this sort of weirdness happens.

I have some experience with this one on the 286, it seems that
some memory expansion cards -- particularly those which haven't
got dip-switches or circuitry to determine the upper-bound of
memory -- don't work, and display exactly the symptoms that have
been described.

My theory as to why this problem occurs in Unix, but not in DOS
or in the diagnostics is that those two never try and do DMA to the
upper reaches of memory.

				- Steve