Microport 286 binaries on SysV3.2?

John Plocher plocher%sally at Sun.COM
Tue May 9 07:23:23 AEST 1989

+---- In <1989May5.060529.18967 at telly.on.ca> Evan Leibovitch writes:
| I have been unsuccessful in attempts to make the Microport 286 DWB
| work on my Enix 3.2 (now to be renamed OSIX :-Q). Did Microport do
| something to AT&T COFF that makes it different from original AT&T
| specs?
+----

I'm not suprised.  Microport *never* recompiled the DWB 286 stuff from
source.  The binaries came directly from Intel in STL (Single Task
Loadable) format.  V/286 had special support for this type file (gen'd by
Intel's development tools), but it was NEVER part of an AT&T standard.

Why, do you ask, didn't Microport ever recompile the sources?  Because
we didn't have them.  DWB/286 was version 1 from AT&T, DWB/386 was
version 2.  All we had was DWB-Ver2 source, and it didn't compile on the
286 :-(

The code generated by Microport's 286 compiler DOES generate COFF files,
and these files DO run under 386 Unix - both Microport's and all the other
3.2 releases.  Everex shouldn't have to do anything to make those things
work - ATT already did it.  As for the STL format DWB, ha!  Even I don't
know what STL looks like internally.

    -John Plocher

(BTW - I liked your .signature :-)

>For a dollar you can still buy: A piece of paper with the Queen's face on it

(in strange colours, though!)