ps *insists* on accessing floppy on Microport SysV/AT 2.4

John Plocher plocher%sally at Sun.COM
Wed May 3 13:06:34 AEST 1989

In article <102277 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher at sun.UUCP (ME) writes:
>In article <291 at tree.UUCP> stever at tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
>>It worked except that "ps" thereafter insisted on always accessing the floppy drive.
>>safe to say tht the two devices are NOT linked?  (It appears that swap is
>
>Yes, /dev/swap is on the hard disk.  But this doesn't mean that swapdev = /dev/swap!

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH
I got home and looked in the manual - /dev/swap *WAS* linked to the floppy
Change this to 0, 1 (from 1, 198)

   # rm /dev/swap
   # mknod /dev/swap b 0 1
   # chmod 644 /dev/swap
   # chown root /dev/swap
   # chgrp sys  /dev/swap

>----
>I don't have a 2.4 286 system anymore so I can't tell you specifics, but you should
>be able to find something like this (rootdev, swapdev, and pipedev) somewhere in

Ignore that rambling ...  The solution above should do the trick.  It is the 386
system which is complicated....

   -John Plocher