ps *insists* on accessing floppy on Microport SysV/AT 2.4

Mike Borza nusip at maccs.McMaster.CA
Wed May 3 11:23:39 AEST 1989

Ahhh... for whatever reason (you pick one), the last informative posting
should have included more than my signature.  Let's try again...

In article <102277 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher at sun.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>In article <291 at tree.UUCP> stever at tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
>>It worked except that "ps" thereafter insisted on always accessing the floppy drive.
... and other good stuff

>It looks like you have the following:
>	rootdev = pipedev = harddisk
>	swapdev = floppydisk

>>safe to say tht the two devices are NOT linked?  (It appears that swap is
>Yes, /dev/swap is on the hard disk.  But this doesn't mean that swapdev = /dev/swap!

I DON'T want to add to the confusion here, BUT, did things change that much
between SV/AT 2.3 and 2.4??  The directory in Steve's original posting is:

   brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/swap
   brw-r--r--   5 root     sys        1, 70 Mar 28 17:21 /dev/dsk/fd
   brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/dsk/0s25

On my SV/AT 2.3 system, /dev/dsk/0s25 is at major 6, minor 198, while
all partitions on the hard disk are at major device 4.  It certainly
looks to me like /dev/swap is on the floppy disk in Steve's system,
just as Piercarlo suspected.  /dev/swap lives at 4,1 on my system.

>>linked instead to /dev/dsk/0s25...yes?)  Is it "safe" to just
>>"ln /dev/swap /dev/dsk/fd" ??
>No you don't want to link it back to the floppy.

True enough, but it just looks to me like it's a duplicate entry instead
of a link.  Have I missed something obvious and just made an ass of myself?
Were the floppy and hard disk drivers coalesced in 2.4?  I don't see any
reason why they should be (or even why anyone would want to), but I'd be
interested to hear about it if they were.

John?

mike borza.

(cruft
for
inews
)
--
Michael Borza                       work: <antel!mike at maccs.McMaster.CA>
Antel Optronics Inc.                home: <boopsy!mike at maccs.McMaster.CA>