lp driver for microport unix SYS V

John Plocher plocher%sally at Sun.COM
Wed May 3 12:31:08 AEST 1989

In article <12503 at ut-emx.UUCP> mike at ut-emx.UUCP (Mike O'Donnell) writes:
>some difficulty using the 'lpset' command to turn the
>transparency mode on.  (with Microport V/386)

You need to use the "raw" lp devices (/dev/rlp*).  These are the same as the
normal devices (/dev/lp*) but with 128 added to the minor device numbers.
(The 7 below is what I think I remember the major number for lp was ...)

To make them:
	mknod /dev/rlp0 c 7 128
	mknod /dev/rlp1 c 7 129
	mknod /dev/rlp2 c 7 130

Then just link /dev/lp to the right one:

	ln /dev/rlp0 /dev/lp

>respondent said that someone had a replacement lp device

While I was at Microport I rewrote the lp driver and shipped it to several people.
It worked a lot better than the stock one, but it still had the "cooked" garbage
in it (backwards compatable - I don't know ANYONE who uses it!)

Since they say they are still in business, call them and ask for it - they can't
hate me any more than they already do :-)

In the V/386 3.0e.1 release (and with the 3.0e CD-1 disk) I put quite a few
"shar" files containing various device drivers in /src.  This includes spkr,
a lp replacement (not my mods), a mouse driver, and many more.  These are all
freely distributable, so you can get them from anyone who has them.

  -John Plocher