Default rules for make

Martin Weitzel martin at mwtech.UUCP
Fri Nov 10 21:16:51 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov8.033800.5104 at monymsys.uucp> david at monymsys.UUCP (David Kozinn) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>Here's the problem: I'm running Microport Sys V/386 and using the Green Hills
>C compiler. I would prefer that instead of the default value of "cc" being
[stuff deleted]

To my knowledge, most implementations of make have this rules "compiled in".
But besides defining CC as shell variable and *exporting* it (which makes
it unnecessary to repeat it on every call to make), many implementations
of make support an include mechanism (sometimes undocumented, but try,
it might work though). Simply say: include filename (no # like in C,
no "..." around filame). So, you may set up some central file with
your prefered suffix rules anywhere and include it in project specific
Makefiles. The latter approach is most useful, if you have to change
something not yet "parametrized" by the use of make-macros (= exported
shell variables).