Networking UNIX and MS-DOS

David Tingley tingley at stsim.UUCP
Sat Sep 9 04:29:59 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep4.012208.5963 at algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey at algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
>In article <515 at wet.UUCP> epsilon at wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>>In article <13400 at well.UUCP> sjm at well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) writes:
>>>We have a machine running System V/386 3.0e.1, and a lot of PCs running MSDOS.
>>>We would like to somehow network these things together at least well enough
>>>to do file transfers of some kind.  How can this be done?
>>
>>uPort includes a working version of C-Kermit.
>>Get a copy of Kermit-MS 2.32/A for the PCs.  Ain't fast, but it is free.
>>

>Kermit is how I used to do it, til I found a better way yet.  I have
>
>In case you do not have another way to get TCP/IP on your UNIX box,
>there is said to be a KA9Q for Unix, though I have not tried it.
>Kermit atop Ethernet would be a further improvement, but Kermit does
>not seem to support it.

The version of KA9Q that I have for unix supports only SLIP, no
ethernet.  If anyone has a version that does support ethernet I would
love to hear about it.

MSkermit ver.  2.32 now supports netbios.  And even says in the
documentation that "this can be used to log into some unix machines via
ethernet", but does not elaborate in any way.  Simply dangles that
enticing news and leaves you hanging.

Anyone else know more about this?

Dave

No .signature