Networking UNIX and MS-DOS

Jeffrey Kegler jeffrey at algor2.algorists.com
Tue Sep 5 08:07:25 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep4.012208.5963 at algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey at algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
[ Stuff about how I network DOS using Phil Karn's KA9Q on top of Ethernet ]

A couple people Emailed me questions about this posting, and I thought
the answers might be of enough general interest to deserve posting.

>From Stephen Moehle {ucbvax,pacbell,hplabs}!well!sjm or sjm at well.sf.ca.us

=> Thanks for the networking info, but I have a few more questions.
=> Where can I get Lachman TCP/IP?  Why did you choose it over
=> Microports own TCP/IP?

I used to run Microport but now run Bell Tech UNIX.  Bell Tech sells
Lachman TCP/IP for their UNIX.  If you run Microport you'll have to
find a TCP/IP that runs on it.

=> Also, where can I find Phil Karn's KA9Q for MSDOS?

I got it from the uunet archives.  It is also on Simtel 20, I
believe.

=> One final thing, do you know if it is possible to get TCP/IP to run
=> on IBM Token Ring hardware with Microport?  All our PCs are
=> currently on a Token Ring network.

Interesting setup.  No idea, sorry.

A. Lester Buck (...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck) repeats my assertion that
=> => Ethernet boards for AT bus machines are astonishingly cheap.

=> I am looking for some cheap Ethernet boards.  What model and price
=> should I look at for such low prices, and where can I buy them?

I have two Ethernet boards (kind of the minimum for a network :-), one
of which is embedded in my Bell Tech IWS board, which also is a
graphics card for their BLIT monitor.  Of more interest to this group,
the other is Western Digital's Ethercard Plus.  I have not made a
study of the market.  The WD was reccommended by my distributor (whom
I trust), was $245, and has not let me down yet.
--

Jeffrey Kegler, Independent UNIX Consultant, Algorists, Inc.
jeffrey at algor2.ALGORISTS.COM or uunet!algor2!jeffrey