Networking UNIX and MS-DOS

Jeffrey Kegler jeffrey at algor2.algorists.com
Mon Sep 4 11:22:08 AEST 1989

In article <515 at wet.UUCP> epsilon at wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <13400 at well.UUCP> sjm at well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) writes:
>>We have a machine running System V/386 3.0e.1, and a lot of PCs running MSDOS.
>>We would like to somehow network these things together at least well enough
>>to do file transfers of some kind.  How can this be done?
>
>uPort includes a working version of C-Kermit.
>Get a copy of Kermit-MS 2.32/A for the PCs.  Ain't fast, but it is free.

Kermit is how I used to do it, til I found a better way yet.  I have
Lachman TCP/IP for my UNIX box, and got Phil Karn's KA9Q for the DOS
machine.  Documentation stinks, but it is free and otherwise of very
high quality.  I run them atop Ethernet.  Ethernet boards for AT bus
machines are astonishingly cheap.

In case you do not have another way to get TCP/IP on your UNIX box,
there is said to be a KA9Q for Unix, though I have not tried it.
Kermit atop Ethernet would be a further improvement, but Kermit does
not seem to support it.

--

Jeffrey Kegler, Independent UNIX Consultant, Algorists, Inc.
jeffrey at algor2.ALGORISTS.COM or uunet!algor2!jeffrey