Communications Programs

John Temples john at jwt.UUCP
Mon Sep 25 04:09:24 AEST 1989

Does anyone know of a nice communications program that will run under
286 and/or 386 Microport?  I just bought a copy of TERM after reading a
glowing review in Unix World which indicated that it was comparable to
ProComm from the DOS world.  I was very disappointed.  At more than
three times the price of ProComm, TERM is no where near as functional
or easy to use.  Only two popular file transfer protocols are supported
(Kermit and Xmodem); there's no "point and shoot" dialing directory; no
scroll-back feature.  On the positive side, TERM does have a powerful
scripting language which could probably be used to implement some of these
features, but at the premium price, I don't want to have to do the work
myself!

I tried compiling Pcomm (version 2), but it seemed to want to dump core
at random places, and I haven't taken the time to try to debug it.  Can
this program be made to work on the 286?
--
John Temples -- UUCP: uunet!jwt!john  or
		      {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!jwt!john