Cnews ported to V/AT?

Randall L. Smith randy at rls.UUCP
Fri Feb 16 08:34:00 AEST 1990

In article <&*P#+1$@b-tech.uucp>, zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>> I'm only familiar with the Microport 286 compiler and not sure about the
>> other 16 bit systems.  The (-Ml) large memory option will support only
>> four 64K segments.  TFM suggests a (-Mh) Huge memory option would
>
> I used to run a 16 bit compress on Microport '286.  It used more than 256k
> of memory (four 64k segments).

Jon's observation led me back to the manual to see how this could be so.
My faded, jaded memory dropped a bit somewhere.  My fault.  The segment of
the Microport Software Development Manual I so adeptly corrupted reads;

"Each segment register contains the logical base address of a memory
segment.  This logical address is translated into the physical base
address of that segment in memory.  Depending on how  the segment
registers are used, a program can address approximately 8192 (8k)
segments of memory, FOUR SEGMENTS AT A TIME."

Emphasis added is mine.  So, the Large Memory model can support any
number of 64K segments with the restriction, no single data array may
exceed the 64K segment limits and whatever limits imposed by memory.
BTW, the Huge memory model was to allow arrays larger than 64K.

Thanks Jon.

Cheers!

- randy

Usenet: randy at rls.uucp
Bangpath: ...<backbone>!osu-cis!rls!randy
Internet: rls!randy at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu