V/AT2.3 Hard Disk File Size Limit?

Mark B. Cohen markc at wpi.wpi.edu
Wed Feb 21 18:29:31 AEST 1990

My apologies if this has been covered before:  I only picked up
this group about six months ago. (When I got my V/AT)

I keep encountering what appears to be an intrinsic file
size limit on hard disk files:  Any attempt by any program
to write a file larger than 1,228,800 bytes fails.

Of course, 1228800 bytes is exactly 1200Kb.

The buglist -- excuse me... "open problems" -- listed in the
release notes for V/AT make no mention of a file size limit problem.

There is plenty of available space and inodes on either disk
(it's a two disk installation).  The csh limit command returns all
"unlimiteds".  Programs encountering this problem include
uPort's tar and cpio, as well as uncompress and Kermit.

Does anyone know of a fix/workaround/kernel patch/driver replacement/etc/etc??
If this is an existing "open problem" [ feature? :) ], should Microport be
notified?  Would it even be worthwhile to notify them if this is the case?

Thanks in advance,
Mark Cohen

P.S.  Does anyone else have a Leading Edge M-H?  Please write if you do.
--
Internet:  markc at wpi.wpi.edu                         "This is drugs...
UUCP:      uunet!wpi.wpi.edu!markc                    this is your brain...