text editor for uport

Charles Hedrick hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu
Fri Jan 5 09:16:56 AEST 1990

I've used all of the major micro emacs'es, i.e. jove, uemacs and
mg, on SV/AT.  I currently use a version of mg that has been fixed
in the following ways:

  - esc and ? work on file names, command names, and buffer names
  - there are no limits on line length or lines containing nulls.
	You can even edit binary files.

uemacs version 10 seems to be a considerable improvement over previous
releases, so you might want to consider it.  I haven't tried it on
SV/AT, but a previous version of uemacs worked, so I can't believe
bringing it up would be much trouble.  In general uemacs has more
programmability, but ? doesn't work in file names, etc.

I haven't had much trouble putting software from the net up on SV/AT,
as long as it supports System V release 2 and doesn't require 32-bit
int's or large arrays.  However I haven't tried any of the maximally
hairy packages such as netnews.  (Of course Gnu Emacs, gcc, etc., are
impossible, since the Gnu project assumes 32-bit processors with lots
of memory.)