Weep for poor poor bill

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver
Fri Dec 21 20:55:29 AEST 1990

>From article <CKD.90Dec20223403 at bucsd.bu.edu>, by ckd at cs.bu.edu (Christopher Davis):
> Bob> palowoda at fiver (Bob Palowoda) writes:
> Brandon> allbery at NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR):
>
> Brandon> The "guru" who considers spelling too trivial to bother with
> Brandon> may cut other supposedly "trivial" corners.  Would you entrust
> Brandon> your system to such a person?
>
> Bob>   I must be really dense today. What's your point Brandon?
>
> "Gee, I don't want to bother spelling everything correctly; everyone
> understands what I'm trying to say."

  Ok, I was dense.

> "Gee, I don't want to bother fixing that DEBUG thing in sendmail;
> nobody's gonna take advantage of it, anyway."

  You do mean "smail" don't you?

> I want a sysadmin with DETAIL on his or her mind.

  How much are you paying?

> Bob> Bob Palowoda   palowoda at fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Gee, Bob, this didn't work for me.  Care to qualify it somehow (even a
> pseudo-domain would be nice)?

   I live in one of those pseudo domains. I fixed it thank you. It's "uucp"
or is it "UUCP"?

> Speaking of details, the extra 16 spaces after "An XBBS System" produced
> a visible "wrap" effect once I quoted them (before I deleted them).
> Another trivial detail, yes, this one was actually trivial; but what
> about the next one?     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Yes it is trivial. Look at it from the other side. You where redundant
in your sentence. You could have save 35 bytes and retained the same
information content. You where inefficient. Details are funny things.
But your point is well taken. I am really have a problem with my spelling
and I struggle with it everyday. One of my problems is when write code and
quickly change to writeing english text I tend to type too fast makeing
alot of typos. Also I find it difficult when switching over from
the thought of the way variables are spelled in my programs to english.

  I noticed something interesting about two weeks ago. I wanted to
improve my technicial online dictionary. So I thought useing articles
written and posted in comp.arch, comp.research, etc would be a good
source. I must have went through approximately 50 articles all, which should
not have had simple spelling errors in them?

---Bob

P.S. If I could afford to have some of those guru's working for me. Yes
     I would hire them.

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda at fiver.uucp         |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400