Who's in my Directory ?

Matthew Farwell dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 04:28:22 AEST 1990

In article <8314 at star.cs.vu.nl> gpvos at cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) writes:
>jxf at castor.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) writes:
>>It isn't possible in any conventional way that I know of, however, a
>>friend of mine once create an 'ls' binary that he placed in his home
>>directory which logged a message to some predetermined log file, and
>>then exec'd /bin/ls with the original arguments.
>>Doesn't work if they have /bin in their path before '.', though, but
>>it still caught a lot of people snooping.
>I know a student around here with an "ls" shellscript in their home directory,
>which *copied your mailbox* into a subdirectory, so he could read it.
>The moral of this story: have ls aliased to /bin/ls or have /bin before . in
>your $PATH.

Or don't have . in your $PATH at all. Get used to typing ./<command> if
you're that concerned. Its not that hard.

Dylan.
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan
Harrow HA1 4LQ England            | CONNECT - Usenet Access in the UK!!
Phone: +44 81-863-1191            | Sun? Don't they make coffee machines?