Who's in my Directory ?

Ken Lerman lerman at stpstn.UUCP
Wed Nov 28 05:48:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov21.155805.27426 at decuac.dec.com> mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
->In article <8314 at star.cs.vu.nl> gpvos at cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) writes:
->>
->>I know a student around here with an "ls" shellscript in their home directory,
->>which *copied your mailbox* into a subdirectory, so he could read it.
->
->	That's *nothing* compared to what he could have done.
->
->	I used to have a hacked up version of sh that used to have a
->"set showexec" that would print the name of the program being run when
->it ran it - useful for catching something like that. You only catch it
->after the fact, but you can still go beat them bloody until they tell
->you in detail what './ls' really did.
->
->mjr.
->--
->"When choosing between two evils, give preference to the council of your
->tummy over that of your testes. The history of mankind is full of disasters
->that could have been averted by a good meal, followed by a nap on the couch."
->		-Me, as explained to me by my wife's cat Strummer.

If you are clever enough to "have a hacked up version of sh", you
should be smart enough to take dot out of your path.

Ken