Who's in my Directory ?

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Thu Nov 22 02:58:05 AEST 1990

In article <8314 at star.cs.vu.nl> gpvos at cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) writes:

>I know a student around here with an "ls" shellscript in their home directory,
>which *copied your mailbox* into a subdirectory, so he could read it.

	That's *nothing* compared to what he could have done.

	I used to have a hacked up version of sh that used to have a
"set showexec" that would print the name of the program being run when
it ran it - useful for catching something like that. You only catch it
after the fact, but you can still go beat them bloody until they tell
you in detail what './ls' really did.

mjr.
--
"When choosing between two evils, give preference to the council of your
tummy over that of your testes. The history of mankind is full of disasters