Who's in my Directory ?

Jerry Frain jxf at castor.cis.ksu.edu
Wed Nov 21 12:33:55 AEST 1990

dpavlich at math-cs.kent.edu (Dave Pavlich) writes:

>      Is there a way on unix to find out if someone has 'cd''d into your
>   directory ? I've tried checking processes ( almost impossible ) and I don't
>    want to set protection on these directories. Is there a shell program  or
>   is it impossible ?

It isn't possible in any conventional way that I know of, however, a
friend of mine once create an 'ls' binary that he placed in his home
directory which logged a message to some predetermined log file, and
then exec'd /bin/ls with the original arguments.

Doesn't work if they have /bin in their path before '.', though, but
it still caught a lot of people snooping.

  --Jerry

--
Jerry Frain -- Systems Programmer               Kansas State University
                                        Department of Computing & Info Sciences