crc as child of cu

Gary Smith gars at lrark.UUCP
Fri Oct 26 00:52:38 AEST 1990

I am pretty sure this question has already been answered, but I can't
find the reference or reply in any notes or files so...
  I'll ask again:

 I have 'crc' on my system (Microport SysV/AT {before reorganization}).
 'crc' is the xmodem send/recieve program with no attendant support like
 you find in Pcomm or Xcomm.

 The question is: How do I make 'crc' a child process of 'cu' ? I have
 tried and exhausted all the obvious thingees like using pipes, tees and
 redirect all to no avail. What I want to do is call a site, using cu
 and escape to crc (I've tried ~< and ~!) and capture a fuller comm program
 like Pcomm. As soon as I invoke the tilda escape, cu releases control to
 crc, which means there is no longer a connection to the remote site for
 crc to capture the requested file from. I can re-enter cu after writing
 an empty file. The problem is I want cu to stay active as a parent process
 and the crc capture to work as the child. It can't be as hard as I'm making
 it :-)

 Any help appreciated. Thanks, Gary

   __         _ (Gary Smith)texbell!attctc!blackbox!bl133!lrark!glsrk!gars *
  / _' _   _ (_' P. O. Drawer 7680    *  GEnie Forth RT  &  Unix RT SysOp  *
 /__/ (_|_/ '._) Little Rock,AR 72217 * winken!well!gars * claris!wet!gars *
 gars at glsrk.uucp        - U. S. A. -  * ames!chinet!gars * ph:501-227-7817 *