crc as child of cu

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sun Oct 28 13:41:19 AEST 1990

In article <554 at lrark.UUCP> gars at lrark.UUCP (Gary Smith) writes:

> I have 'crc' on my system (Microport SysV/AT {before reorganization}).
> 'crc' is the xmodem send/recieve program with no attendant support like
> you find in Pcomm or Xcomm.
>
> The question is: How do I make 'crc' a child process of 'cu' ?

You probably can't make it work.  Cu forks and runs as 2 processes, one
reading the remote tty line and writing to the invoking terminal and
the other reading the terminal and writing to the remote.  During the
 ~$command escapes, the process reading the remote tty line stays active
which will screw up any file transfers that another program might
attempt over the same line.  I've been told that there is a compile option
in the cu source that can enable a variation of the shell command that
will kill the reading process, but I doubt if that helps you any more
than it did me.

On approach that will work is to use kermit to dial out, then use
a shell escape with explicit redirection of both stdin and stdout
to the remote tty line.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us