Question for net.views column in UNIX Today!

David Williams ponder.csci.unt.edu!dnw at uunet.UU.NET
Tue Apr 2 13:13:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar29.195953.2421 at utoday.com> you write:

>	*******************
>	*   QUESTION #2	  *
>	*******************
>
>	Is a single GUI standard really necessary?

>	This question is being posted to gather responses for a regular
>column in UNIX Today! called "net.views". The purpose of the column
>is to generate user response to questions of importance in the Unix
>industry.
>	By sending an e-mail reply to the above question, you are
>granting UNIX Today! permission to consider your comments for
>publication. A summary of *all* e-mail responses to this post will be
>posted in this group two weeks from today.
>	/* Please include a daytime telephone number! */

Yes, and it should be an evolution of current and past best ideas - not
a "least common denominator" throwback for the sake of backwards compatibility.
If backwards compatibility were a valid argument, all GUI's would have the look
and feel of a model 29 card punch.  Motif's claim (one of them, anyway) is
SAA backwards compatible look and feel - this is simply the optimization of
a bad idea.
What I would like to see is a visualy stimulating but simple GUI design that
scales up nicely from mono through 24 bit color with consistent look/feel,
cut/paste policy (yes! policy), and universal vendor support.
that's all ;-).