Question for net.views column in UNIX Today!

Kee Hinckley nazgul at alphalpha.com
Tue Apr 2 06:04:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr1.055516.12726 at midway.uchicago.edu> bkc2 at quads.uchicago.edu (Benjamin Clardy) writes:
>Since there are now toolkits that allow simultaneous devleopment of Motif and
>Openlook applications, I do not feel that the existence of these two standards
Are any shipping yet?  Do you really think they can be used to produce
production code?

>OpenWindows (and Motif?) needs addition features:
>	1. Keyboard shortcuts.  These should be standardized like they are on
>	   the Mac, i.e. COMMAND-X for cut, COMMAND-V for paste, etc.
How do you do this in a GUI independant manner (Motif has these, the Mac
as these - they are of course different).

>	4. The ability for an application to display on icon without being
>	   loaded into memory.  I think the drag and drop metaphor is makes
>	   sense, but I don't always want an application in memory to do
>	   that, e.g. having Pageview loaded all the time to view a PostScript
>	   file.  How about dynamic starting of the application in this case?
There are applications that already do this, I'm not sure it needs to
be part of a GUI specification, although it might be nice.

>	5. Font Menus.  Why can't I have OpenWindows, or OW applications,
>	   change or resize the font on command, instead of just at startup.
Any application clearly can.  It turns out however, that this is one of
the things that the virtual toolkits you mention usually have to punt on.

--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul at alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       info at alfalfa.com

everyone else's.