SCO Mailing List

Andrew Partan asp at uunet.UU.NET
Wed Apr 3 13:59:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr2.014433.463 at eng.ufl.edu>, jc at joker.mil.ufl.edu (Jim Castleberry) writes:
> In article <1991Apr1.060015.5722 at pcssc.com> dma at pcssc.com (Dave Armbrust) writes:
> >                  The Santa Cruz Operation mailing list
>
> Be forewarmed that uunet sends out OODLES of duplicate messages on this
> list (a.k.a. noise, junk mail, etc.).  I was on it until recently and it
> was common for me to receive 5-10 copies of an article.  I bailed out a
> week or so ago when someone posted a particularly bothersome article and
> I received over 150 copies of it in 1 day.  Uunet concedes the problem
> is theirs but doesn't have the resources to fix it.

The last pile of dups was caused (as best we can figure) by someone
delibertly introducing a loop in the mailing list.  Each message was
sent out some 200+ times.  The moderator of the list ended up getting 25+
Meg of mail in his uucp queue (most of which we were able to clean out).
For more details, contact the moderator of the list - dma at pcssc.com.

As far as we can figure out, all of the prior dups were caused by a bug
burried someplace deep in sendmail that can cause dups while processing
long lists.  We basically want to scrap sendmail & start over with
something else, but we don't have the resources at time time to do so.

	--asp at uunet.uu.net (Andrew Partan)