If you could have anything in vi ...

Steve Anderson stevea at locus.com
Fri Apr 5 16:02:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr04.193344.16407 at convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>why the devil should an editor compile, read mail, or read news?
>emacs is just a visual shell.

Regardless of what you call it %-), here's my HO of why emacs
should read mail and news.  (Compiling is not really done by emacs,
think of it as :! cc filename.c &, or something like that.)

If all you were going to do was _read_ mail and news, then no, you
wouldn't need emacs.  But, when you _write_ mail and post news, you
might as well already be in the editor.

Certainly both ways work...differing philosophies, as we all know.
--
-Steve A. Anderson     I do not speak officially for Locus or IBM, just me.
stevea at locus.com                      ...{uunet|ucla-se|sequent}!lcc!stevea