Voice Mail

David I. Berg dberg at informix.com
Fri Jun 7 05:41:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun6.075141.8108 at cetia.fr> philip at vogon.cetia.fr (Philip Peake) writes:

>Whilst on this subject, I would like to point out that I *hate* voice mail
>systems - particularly the semi-automated variety.

I fully agree with you.

>I call the direct number on his buisness card, and what do I get ?
>Voice mail ! - that was a wasted transatlantic 'phone call.

A properly implemented voice mail system will have a touch-tone
option to redirect the call to an operator, receptionist, etc.
Unfortunately, it takes such a long time for the recorded message
to tell you about all the options, you are into your next life before
you get to leave a message.

>So, I call the company switchboard, ask to speak to Mr. X, and am connected
>to (you guessed it) his voice mail !!!

Again, you shouldn't have to do this step if the voice mail system
allows you to redirect your call.

>I re-call the switchboard, and explain that I want to speak to the person,
>not a machine, so can she get the person on the 'phone before connecting
>me ? "Our system doesn't support that" she says ...

I had to call my brother long distance to advise him of a death in
the family and got tangled in a web of poorly implemented voice mail
networking. It took an hour before I got to speak to a human being
who could locate my brother in a meeting to advise him of my call.
I was upset enough before this; now I was angry.

>The moral - if you *insist* on using this retrograde technology, list
>THREE numbers on your buisness card - one for the company switchboard,
>one for yourself, and one for your voice mail system.

I know people who have a pager number on their business card so callers
don't have to go through their company's voice mail.

  ___                   ___              dberg at cougar.informix.com
  /  ) __      . __/    /_ ) _       __  Informix Software Inc.  (303) 850-0210
_/__/ (_(_ (/ / (_(_  _/__> (-' -/~ (_-  5299 DTC Blvd #740; Englewood CO 80111
{uunet|pyramid}!infmx!dberg        The opinions expressed herein are mine alone.