Voice Mail

Allan Perry allan at sinix.UUCP
Wed Jun 19 16:58:49 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun6.075141.8108 at cetia.fr> philip at vogon.cetia.fr (Philip Peake) writes:

>|> With a company with more than one or two employees then the answering
>|> machine won't work!

First, if the company only has one or two employees, then an answering machine
is adequate.  On the other hand, most companies have more employees than that.

I can think of two features that most voice mail systems have that an
answering machine doesn't have:

1. The ability to save and delete individual messages.  Every answering
   machine that I have ever only allows you to delete all of your messages.

2. Voice mailing lists.  Even though I have only seen this used effectively
   on a broadcast basis (i.e., the message is sent to every voice mailbox),
   it is a nice feature that answering machines can do.

I like voice mail and I wish we had it here.

>Ok, I'll take the bait ... why won't the answering machine work with
>more than two or three people ?

See above.

>Whilst on this subject, I would like to point out that I *hate* voice mail
>systems - particularly the semi-automated variety.
>
>Given the choise I won't deal with companies that use it.
>
>A typical problem (for me) is that I call a Californian company (there is a
>9 hour time difference, so there is a very small overlap in the time that
>both myself and the person I'm trying to contact are in the office at
>the same time).
>
>I call the direct number on his buisness card, and what do I get ?
>Voice mail ! - that was a wasted transatlantic 'phone call.

And if they are using an answering machine, you get an answering machine.

>So, I call the company switchboard, ask to speak to Mr. X, and am connected
>to (you guessed it) his voice mail !!!
>(A second wasted transatlantic 'phone call).

And if they are using an answering machine, you either get the answering
machine directly or the switchboard give you the answering machine.

>I re-call the switchboard, and explain that I want to speak to the person,
>not a machine, so can she get the person on the 'phone before connecting
>me ? "Our system doesn't support that" she says ...

And if they are using an answering machine, you either get the answering
machine directly or, instead of saying "our system doesn't support that",
she says "I am sorry, sir, but if he is not at his desk ..." (or something
equally polite, but unhelpful).  The only case where you wouldn't get a
machine in this case is if the switchboard operator searches for that
person, maybe by physically walking around the building (unlikely) or calling
the person's manager.  This could take some time and still not find the
person and result in a much longer wasted transatlantic phone call.
And this would work the same for voice mail or answering machine systems.

In other words, in your case, an answering machine is almost equivalent to
a voice mail system.  So, I suppose you wouldn't (if you had a choice) do
business with companies that use answering machines either.

>The moral - if you *insist* on using this retrograde technology, list
>THREE numbers on your buisness card - one for the company switchboard,
>one for yourself, and one for your voice mail system.

The moral is don't blame voice mail for the inherent difficulties of doing
business with places on the other 6000 miles away and the pain of playing
telephone tag.  I don't see you offering a solution.

Incidentally, I am working in Munich and most of my friends, family, creditors,
business associates, etc. are in the U.S. (mostly CA).  However, I knew
there would be problems communicating and I live with it.

alan