Question for net.views column in UNIX Today!

tnc!m0236 at uunet.UU.NET tnc!m0236 at uunet.UU.NET
Sun Mar 31 06:54:27 AEST 1991

>         Is a single GUI standard really necessary?

Necessary?  No.
Desirable?  Doubtful.

>From what I've seen, we're not even close to point where a single
standard would even be beneficial.  Standards tend to gravitate
towards a lowest common denominator, otherwise the market gets
confused and either ignores the standard or "refines" the standard.

GUI needs vary.  GUI's tend to hog resources.  What I need and what
I want for a CAD application can be quite different from what I need
and what I want for text editing.  A "GUI standard" is premature.  The
market needs to bite, kick and claw some more before it'll be ready to
settle down and adopt a single standard.  The breakeven point in
resource tradeoff just isn't here yet.

   -- Myles Marlow