VP/ix and DR DOS 5.0

Norbert Bladt nbladt at aut.autelca.ascom.ch
Tue Dec 18 01:38:23 AEST 1990

bondi at dri.com (Bob Bondi) writes:

>In article <7222 at uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> moeller at informatik.uni-kl.de (Henning Moeller AG Hagen) writes:
>>Hey there,
>>
>>I've got a problem accessing my DR DOS partition (60 MB) from VP/ix. Is there
>>anyone having done so? Or will I have to reformat my DOS partition with
>>MS DOS 3.3?? :-((
>>

>I would suggest you check with VP/ix and see if the version you have
>supports the COMPACQ 3.31 method of creating and accessing partions.
Our version of VP/ix does not support partitions larger than 32MB.
This VP/ix came with ISC 2.2 and there is a fixdisk for it. We didn't
receive it, yet. However, I think that this fix was done to support
running MS-Windows 3.0 in real mode.

In fact, the current version we have doesn't even support more than one DOS
partition per harddisk drive !
Don't use ISC's fdisk to create more than one DOS partition. It will
let you do it but it will create multiple primary DOS partitions !!!

BTW: The restrictions for VP/ix are mentioned in the ISC manual !
But, the text printed is not very good and misleading. It reads like:
	Disk formatted with DOS 4.0x are not recognized by VP/ix.
That is not right in two cases:
	1. COMPAQ-DOS 3.31 supports partitions larger than 32 MB.
	   This is not supported by VP/ix.
	2. You can create partitions with less than or equal to 32 MB
	   with DOS 4.0x and still access those with VP/ix.
	   Of course, my comments regarding number of partitions per disk,
	   etc. apply here.

[ rest of the text from bondi at dri.com (Bob Bondi) deleted because it misses
  the point. ]

Hope this helps,

Norbert Bladt.
--
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland
Phone: +41 31 52 92 14