VP/ix date is wrong under Xenix!

Larry Wagner wagner at matt.ksu.ksu.edu
Thu Nov 22 16:22:46 AEST 1990

andrew at teslab.lab.OZ (Andrew Phillips) writes:

>I noticed yesterday (Tuesday 20th) that the date under VP/ix was
>wrong, but the date under Xenix was correct.  The MSDOS date command
>said it was Monday (19/11/90).  The time command reported the correct
>time.  When I booted up under native MSDOS (without Xenix) the date
>was correct.

>The same thing happened today - i.e. the date is still Monday under
>VP/ix.  What is happening?  This could play havoc with my make files!!

>We're using Xenix 2.3.3 and VP/ix 1.1.1.

>Thanks in advance for any help.

This is the same problem I have had with a Sun 386i I use at work (it uses
VP/ix for DOS also).  I noticed that if there was no keyboard activity
for more than 24 hours in a DOS window under Sunview (Sun's windowing system)
that the date would not roll over to the next day.  Thus, every Monday
my machine would be two days behind after the weekend.  I reported the
problem to Sun but have gotten no bug fix from them yet.  I did get a
DOS program from someone off the net got the UNIX date and time and
updated the DOS date and time.  I usually use it rather than manually
typing in the new date and time.  Basically what it did was make a
system call to the UNIX date command, parsed it, and then updated
the DOS date and time with that info.  I assume Xenix with VP/ix allows
UNIX commands to be run from DOS like the 386i can.  If you are interested
I can send you the Microsoft C source code.

Larry E. Wagner		USDA-ARS Wind Erosion Research Unit

			wagner at matt.ksu.ksu.edu