How to run Windows under VP/IX

Dean Riddlebarger dean at truevision.com
Sun Nov 25 07:27:01 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov15.025221.1039 at grumpy.boston.ma.us> johna at grumpy.boston.ma.us (John Adams) writes:

>The real solution to this problem is:
>	contact Interactive Systems (213-453-UNIX) for the VP/ix update.
>	This change will allow Windows3.0 to run in real mode under VP/ix.

Yes, Windows will run in real mode with this fix disk.  But.....

The expanded memory driver [on the one machine we're trying this on] does not
like to behave at all.  There's mention of this in the manual, and the
warning is indeed correct.  For example, if you try to give the driver
access to 2Mb [the max], system response time slows to a crawl.  While there
is a certain amount of bizarre curiousity that is aroused by waiting up to
two minutes for mouse reponse, it really can't be used for serious work.
ISC Tech Support is still looking into this for me; Windows 3.0 that comes
up in real mode and only believes in 640K looks pretty, but doesn't do
much...

--
<:>   Dean Riddlebarger                               "The bus came by   <:>
<:>   Truevision, Inc.                                  and I got on,    <:>