Problems with ODT-DOS (Merge/386) config.sys startup

Eric Johnson erc at pai.UUCP
Fri Sep 28 00:13:14 AEST 1990

In article <187 at srwic.UUCP>, sralston at srwic.UUCP (Steve Ralston) writes:
> I recently moved the home directories of all users on a SCO ODT 1.0 system
> from [DEFAULT] /usr/$HOME directories to /usr/acct/$HOME.  The
> directory /usr/acct is a mount point for a separate file system.
> Everything went well, EXCEPT;  now when users start DOS from their
> shell command line with `dos`, /config.sys does not appear to be
> executed.  The mouse driver is not loaded, ansi.sys does not get
> loaded, lastdrive doesn't get set, etc.  Everything worked fine before
> moving users home directories to a separate file system.  If root
> executes `dos`, all seems well; mouse driver gets loaded, ansi.sys, etc.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?  Anybody else having any problems with Merge?
> I've checked file perms, etc; no luck.
> Steve Ralston						sralston at srwic.UUCP
> 235 N Zelta						voice: 316-686-2019
> Wichita, KS 67206			..!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!srwic!sralston

My users (me) are in a /u file system. I've always put my
DOS autoexec.bat and config.sys in my home directory and they seem
to work just fine. That is, in /u/username (where username is
the user's home directory). So, each user has a copy of
autoexec.bat and config.sys.

If your config.sys is in /, and I assume your root home directory
is /, the fact that root runs DOS fine seems to bear out my
theory.

Try copying your config.sys, et al. to each user's home directory.
I'm sure you wanted a system-wide default set up for your users,
so this may not be the best of solutions.

By the way, has anyone been able to run microsoft windows 3.0 under
DOS under SCO OpenDesktop? I'd love to be able to do this, but realize
that windows may not want to live under Merge 386.

Hope this helps,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson               phone: +1 612 894 0313    BTI: Industrial
Boulware Technologies, Inc.   fax:   +1 612 894 0316    automation systems