vp/ix and merge

David Mason dmason at digi.lonestar.org
Thu Sep 13 04:06:44 AEST 1990

Thanks to all who have Emailed me and responded here.  The consenus
I am getting is that Merge is more "integrated" with the UNIX environment
and is easier to set up and maintain, but that VP/ix is a better PC
emulation and might have fewer compatibility problems.  For that matter,
I havent heard of any compatability problems with either - any comments
on this?  Somebody said that they both make the kernel bigger and take
much RAM.  That doesnt surprise me.  It sounds like the difference
between Merge and VP/ix may not be as important as the differences between
the various UNIXes as a whole, and that DOS under UNIX is one factor
in a bigger equation.  Having said that, I think that SCO is heading
the right direction with its "shrink-wrapped" style ODT.  That kind
of thing will get users and non-hackers to buy UNIX where they
wouldnt have otherwise, which will give the UNIX market a big boost.

BTW, Wain and I called off the flame war :-)
(And there was much rejoicing... Yay!)
Dave Mason                           Party on, dudes!
DSC Communications  M/S 121
1000 Coit Rd, Plano TX 75075         The opinions expressed herein are
INET: dmason at digi.lonestar.org       not necessarily mine or those of
UUCP: ...!texsun!digi!dmason         my employer.