vp/ix and merge

Alex Martelli staff at cadlab.sublink.ORG
Sun Sep 16 18:51:34 AEST 1990

woods at eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>If you truely believe that there are things you cannot do with UNIX to
>do your day-to-day business, why are you trying to run UNIX?  If you

The answer, in my case, is: I want to keep my Fidonet connection.  I
have not found any software that will allow a Fidonet "point" to run
under Unix, except a DOS emulator (...and not quite THAT, either...
I'm having problems with sending outgoing stuff... but I'm working on
that).  I must share the modem and phone line - duplicating everything,
including the computer, the modem and the line, would cost a BUNDLE.
I need Unix for Usenet/UUCP (I *could* wing it under Dos, but it's a
pain) as well as for every other sort of computing task.  The DOS
emulator also allows, as a convenience, to keep running DOS apps which
remain around, although indeed in most cases it's just a convenience.

--
Alex Martelli - CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Stalingrado 45, Bologna, Italia
Email: (work:) staff at cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) alex at am.sublink.org
Phone: (work:) ++39 (51) 371099, (home:) ++39 (51) 250434;
Fax: ++39 (51) 366964 (work only; any time of day or night).