vp/ix and merge

David Mason dmason at digi.lonestar.org
Tue Sep 18 04:05:41 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep14.165510.5532 at eci386.uucp> woods at eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:

>If you truely believe that there are things you cannot do with UNIX to
>do your day-to-day business, why are you trying to run UNIX?  If you
>want to keep an existing investment of DOS hardware and software, why
>not get a nice integrated network (such as Starlan) to tie things
>together?  You don't have to worry about the impact of DOS under/over
>UNIX, and your users each get individual workstations.
>--
>						Greg A. Woods

Thanks for the info.  As to the above, if I thought DOS could do things
UNIX couldnt, you are right - it wouldnt be worth the money to buy UNIX.
I may not have mentioned this, but I am interested in putting together
a system for my own personal use.  UNIX is probably extravagant for this,
but I like it better.  At some point, I might want to do some moonlighting
in UNIX, but the odds of me ever doing much DOS development are pretty
slim.  However, I know I will need to run DOS applications, which leaves
three options:  You can run DOS under UNIX, maintain a separate partition
for DOS and switch when necessary, or find an old clunker PC and not worry
about running them on the same machine.  I prefer the first option,
mostly because its got more "gee whiz aint that neat" kind of appeal.
Sharing files and hardware to both systems would be really useful.
Compatability is very important.  I understand VGA graphics can be a
problem.  Cost is a very key factor here, also.  If VP/ix meets these
criteria and is more UNIX-like than Merge, that would be a point in its
favor to me.

Dave Mason                           Party on, dudes!
DSC Communications  M/S 121
1000 Coit Rd, Plano TX 75075         The opinions expressed herein are
INET: dmason at digi.lonestar.org       not necessarily mine or those of
UUCP: ...!texsun!digi!dmason         my employer.