PC-NFS and symbolic links

John Grow john at pcad.UUCP
Fri Jan 11 02:13:43 AEST 1991

(My original posting)
> >It seems that Sun's PC-NFS (Version 3.0) does not recognize symbolic
> >links through the file systems mounted as drive letters.  For example,
> >if there is an NFS directory /usr/dostools which has the subdirectories:
> >toola, toolb, and toolc and a symbolic link to another filesystem called
> >toold, then from PC-NFS, only tool[a-c] can be accessed.  toold does not
> >even show up in the directory listing.

(Response)
> You can never access filesystem without mounting it.  This has nothing to
> do with PC-NFS, the same thing will happen if you try to do this between
> two unix machines.
>
> -----
>
> Gardar Nielsen					goggi at rhi.hi.is
> University of Iceland

Even if both file systems (the one with tool[a-c] and the one with toold)
are mounted, PC-NFS fails to recognize the symbolic link from one mounted
file system to another mounted file system.

Basically the issue comes down to two separate problems:

	a) the number of mounts allowed by PC-NFS (limited to 7 I think).
	b) the failure of PC-NFS to recognize symbolic links.

	For b) I got an e-mail response from wagner at chepil.weru.ksu.edu who
	suggested using the NET JOIN command to do what the symbolic link
	does for UNIX.
--
John Grow                   |   uucp:    (uunet!pcad!john)
Personal CAD Systems/CADAM  |