PC-NFS and symbolic links

Wilfried van Hulzen vhulzen at freyr.pttrnl.nl
Fri Jan 11 04:07:25 AEST 1991

john at pcad.UUCP (John Grow) writes:

>(My original posting)
>> >It seems that Sun's PC-NFS (Version 3.0) does not recognize symbolic
>> >links through the file systems mounted as drive letters.  For example,
>> >if there is an NFS directory /usr/dostools which has the subdirectories:
>[stuff deleted]

>Basically the issue comes down to two separate problems:

>	a) the number of mounts allowed by PC-NFS (limited to 7 I think).
>	b) the failure of PC-NFS to recognize symbolic links.

>	For b) I got an e-mail response from wagner at chepil.weru.ksu.edu who
>	suggested using the NET JOIN command to do what the symbolic link
>	does for UNIX.
>--
>John Grow                   |   uucp:    (uunet!pcad!john)
>Personal CAD Systems/CADAM  |
>1 Technology Park Drive     |
>Westford, MA 01886          |

I found by trial and error that PC-NFS only recognizes symbolic links that
stay within the mounted part of the file system.  So symbolic links to
another file system or that refer to directories `beyond the root' of
the mounted part don't work.  This also means that mounting the other
file system separately will not help you.

Wilfried H.P. van Hulzen

---
PTT Research Neher Laboratories       [ E-mail: WHP_vHulzen at pttrnl.nl]
P.O. Box 421, 2260 AK Leidschendam,   [ UUCP  : hp4nl!dnlunx!vhulzen ]
The Netherlands. Tel: +31 70 3326402