Running Dos Applications From Remote Terminals

Daniel A. Graifer dag at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM
Thu Jan 17 01:49:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan15.190045.17724 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <572 at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM> dag at fciva.UUCP (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:
>>The problem here is that Merge, in order to correctly emulate the keyboard
>>on a MS-DOS machine, needs 'scancodes' rather than ascii characters.
>
>Has anyone built a keymap for DOS kermit to make it emulate one of the
>scancode terminals?   Or is this even possible?

I don't think this would work.  The point of scancodes is that each keystroke
sends TWO characters: One for keydown, a latter one for keyup. Thus, sending
an upper case 'A' causes FOUR characters to be sent: Shift-a-A-Unshift (The
scancodes for the alpha keys happen to be their lowercase equivelents for
keydown, and uppercase for key up).  This is a much lower level of interaction
with the hardware than just getting keystrokes.  Note in particular that
programs working at this level (such as Merge) have to keep track of the
number of times they have seen the CapsLockDown-CapsLockUp sequence, and
toggle their capslock bit.  The same for NumLock and ScrollLock.  It's
possible to do this:  STSCs APL*PLUS/PC does it for example (and like
Merge, it is possible to get the programs internal state variable for the
lock keys out of phase with the little LEDs.).

I've heard that the DOS terminal emulator PRO-YAM (?) can do scancodes, but
I've not seen it.

Dan
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130
uunet!fciva!dag				fciva.FRANKCAP.COM!dag at uunet.uu.net